I am going to be a little biased in this post and say that I absolutely love Chicago because it is one of the most beautiful cities with what I think is humongous pride in its sports teams. On Friday, June 29th I took the train downtown with one of my best friends to see the Blackhawks parade. For those of you who aren't big into sports, the Blackhawks are Chicago's hockey team, and needless to say they're awesome. Three years ago in 2010 they won the Stanley Cup and they did it again this year. When they win the Stanley Cup the city of Chicago puts on a ginormous spectacle with a parade and rally. The parade goes down Washington St. towards its final destination, Grant Park, where there is a huge rally and slurred speeches made by the players. Grant Park is this beautiful green park with fountains and the infamous bean. It's a very popular place for tourists, as you can also see them snapping a picture of themselves in the mirrored reflection of the bean.
 |
| The Bean |
My best friend and I took an early train into the city and arrived into Olgivie Station, which was crowded with hundreds of blackhawks fans all dressed up in feather headbands, jerseys, and the occasional feather boa. We walked out of the station past the Chicago river towards Dearborn and Washington, where we stopped and watched the parade.
 |
| Crowded Olgivie |
 |
| The Chicago River |
Being as short as I am, some very nice people took it upon themselves to let me get a better view and stand in front of them. This allowed me to get some very nice picture of the players while they rode down Washington on double decker buses.
 |
| Stanley cup hat |
 |
| My friend and I |
 |
Patrick Kane and Brandon Saad
|
All in all it was a great day and I am so happy to live near to a big city where millions of people live and exciting things happen all the time. If you haven't been to Chicago and you ever get the chance to visit please do!
Much Love,
Francesca
No comments:
Post a Comment